Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza
Typology: Non Parish Church
Address: Corso del Rinascimento, 40
Zone: Rione S. Eustachio (Senato-Corso Rinascimento) (Roma centro)
The church is open only on Sundays from 9.00 to 12.00.
Closed in July and August.
Sunday: 11.00 (except on July and August).
Serate di Grande Musica al Cortile di S. Ivo 2013 - XXXII Stagione Concertistica dell’International Chamber Ensemble (Music) from 2013-07-12 to 2013-08-08
The church of Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza was built by Borromini from 1642 through 1660. The church rises in the little courtyard of the Palazzo della Sapienza (where it gets its name from), home of the antique university of Rome, from C.XV until 1935. Very particular are the original multifoiled dome and the daring clerestory with a spiral cusp. The church’s interior, due to the busy plan and the surge of the pilaster strips, continued from the dome into six segments, all in light colors, is even more surprising for the innovations in concepts and decorations, to the extent of forecasting the advent of Rococò. Not to be missed the magnificent canvas by Pietro da Cortona, representing "Sant'Ivo" and other splendid frescoes.
Last checked: 2013-04-02 11:23