Typology: Small Basilica
Address: Via dei Santi Quattro, 20
Zone: Rione Celio (Terme di Caracalla) (Roma centro)
Enter your starting address
Telephone: +39 06 70475427
Fax: +39 06 77262545
Open 09:30am-12:00pm 04:30pm-06:00pm
The cloister is open from 3.30pm to 6.15pm
Passeggiate romane: il Celio, la Chiesa di S. Clemente e la Chiesa dei SS. Quattro Coronati - Ass. Culturale EOS (Guided tours and educational visits) 2014-12-22
Originally built in C. IV, the church owes its name to the tradition of the martyrdom of four Roman soldiers who refused to adore Esculapio, and five sculptors from Pannonia, accomplices with the soldiers. For this reason the church is subject to particular devotion by stone-cutters and marble-carvers. The third-century cloister, probably defined the most evocative one marble-carvers ever left in Rome, and the Oratorio di San Silvestro that, famous for the decorations with frescoes dated C.XIII, show, among the rest, episodes from the legend of Costantino. The ensemble of buildings still shows the severe character it had during the Middle Ages, when it was used as a defensive bastion for the nearby Basilica di San Giovanni e del Patriarchio. The interior is the typical one of a medieval basilica, with three naves divided up by antique granite columns, with Corinthian composite capitals. The wide apse comes from the primitive church, whose middle nave was as large as the entire actual church. From the nave one moves into the gracious cloister that hosts a garden, built in 1120.
Notes: It is not allowed to visit the chapel during the mass. The Gothic hall, decorated with a cycle of medieval frescoes discovered during 10 year work of restoration will be open to the public (tba).
This table (All'interno di) includes
Culture and leisure › Cultural heritage › Architectural and historical heritage
Last checked: 2014-05-19 10:32