Typology: Non Parish Church
Address: Piazza di Sant'Alessio, 23
Zone: Rione Ripa (Circo Massimo-Bocca Verità-Aventino) (Roma centro)
Enter your starting address
Telephone: 0039 06 5743446
Fax: 0039 06 5745549
Alla scoperta dei tesori nascosti del Complesso dei Santi Bonifacio e Alessio all’Aventino (Guided tours and educational visits) from 2014-01-01 to 2014-12-31
It was built before C.X and dedicated first to San Bonifacio, then to Sant’Alessio (1217) by Pope Onorio III. In 1750 it was restored by Tommaso de Marchis. During C.X the Crescenzi built a convent next to it, which nowadays holds the offices of the Istituto di Studi Romani. The façade is preceded by a porch surmounted by a an attic floor crowned by a balustrade over which a nice Romanesque bell-tower rises. Through a cosmatesque portal one enters the church, with its three naves but wide and solemn. Leaning against the inner façade one can see the wooden stairway under which Sant’Alessio supposedly lived, treasured inside a big glass reliquary supported by angels and cupids. Nearby the church, the annexed Cloister is decorated by granite columns coming from antique buildings.
Notes: The church opens for wedding ceremonies only.
Last checked: 2011-09-27 12:20