060608


Roma Capitale
Zètema Progetto Cultura
060608 - Discover and buy tourist services, cultural offers and shows in Rome
You are in: Home » Culture and leisure » Historic places of worship » Catholic Churches » Santa Maria del Divino Amore
Typology: Parish Church

Address

Address: Via Ardeatina, km 12
Zone: Quartiere Ardeatino (Roma sud)
Atac
Enter your starting address

Contacts

Telephone: 0039 06 713518
Fax: 0039 06 71353304

Opening times

Winter 06:30am-08:00pm
Summer 05:00am-09:00pm
ORARIO SANTE MESSE:
Antico Santuario:
Feriale: 7.00-8.00-9.00-10.00-11.00-12.00-17.00 (nell’ora legale 18.00-19.00) 
Festivo: 6.00-7.00-13.00-19.00 (ora legale 20.00)
Nuovo Santuario:
Sabato: 17.00-18.00 (ora legale 18.00-19.00) 
Festivo: 5.00 (dalla seconda domenica di Pasqua all’ultima di ottobre)  
              8.00-9.00-10.00-11.00-12.00-16.00-17.00-18.00 (ora legale anche ore 19.00) 

Description

MADONNA DEL DIVINO AMORE Itsorigins date back to C. XIII, when the area presented some sort of fortressowned by the Orsini family, also known as Castel di Leva. On one tower an imageof the Virgin was frescoed, being very venerated by the local shepherds. DuringC. XV a pilgrim who was about to be attacked by some dogs begged the Madonna forhelp and was miraculously saved. In 1744 Benedetto XIV ordered the building ofa church on the old castle’s ruins, where one then placed the miraculous image.On the 8th of December 1932 the church became parish, guided by Don UmbertoTerenzi, founder of the Figlie Della Madonna Del Divino Amore (1942), who werethen succeeded by the oblate priests who now keep the sanctuary. In 1944 theentire people of Rome begged the Vergine del Divino Amore to save the city fromthe horrors of the war and promised the building of a new sanctuary whoseconstruction was started in 1991. Theeighteenth-century-sanctuary-church, probably a work by Filippo Raguzzini, embodiesa facade with an arched tympanum amidst two windows. On top of the crowningtriangular tympanum one finds the statue of the Vergine Maria. Theinterior, embodying a single nave, appears simple and decorated with frescoesand paintings from C. XIX. In 1947 the crypt of the Addolorata was carried outin the old castle’s cistern, where one can see an artistic reproduction of thefirst miracle by the Madonna del Divino Amore and of the Voto di Maria.