Typology: Non Parish Church
Address: Via di San Giovanni Decollato, 9
Zone: Rione Ripa (Circo Massimo-Bocca Verità-Aventino) (Roma centro)
Enter your starting address
Telephone: +39 06 6781654 (sagrestia)
Fax: +39 06 6781654
S. ELIGIO DEI FERRARI The church dates back to 1453 when Nicolo’ V gave a small hospital andtwo churches to the Università dei Ferrari, - built in C.XIV from by the Ferraioliand the Orefici Romani, a small hospital and two churches touse them as homes for the elder people and for the pilgrims. In 1619, Tthe cConfraternita deiFerrari, came in possession of the relic ofSant’Eligio (the left arm) in 1619, and hada church and a small oratory constructedin his its honour. Eligio was a roman goldsmith wholived during the end of the C.VI century.The church underwentmany changes during the centuries. The facade has a fake brick structure and alarge central window. It was reconstructed in the twentieth century C.XX withsixteenth -century designs. The interior has a plan with three naves andsix marble altars. The roof has bears the symbol of the Università dei Ferrari (1604). The apse isrich in marbles and stuccoes. The main altar was constructed in 1640.
Last checked: 2012-04-30 11:08