Typology: Non Parish Church
Address: Piazza dei Cavalieri di Malta, 5
Zone: Rione Ripa (Circo Massimo-Bocca Verità-Aventino) (Roma centro)
Enter your starting address
Telephone: 0039 06 57911
Fax: 0039 06 5746863
Web site: www.santanselmo.net
Note: Aperta durante le celebrazioni liturgiche.
Orario Messe: Festivi:08:30-19:15Feriali:19:15
Collegamenti: Bus 23-57-92-95-716
S. ANSELMO ALLAVENTINO In 1890the Benedictine Order decided to build a church on the Aventine hill, next toan international college dedicated to Sant'Anselmo, theologian and doctor ofthe Church. The church and the college were built on a piece of land purchasedby the Cavalieri di Malta, on top of a fortress created to protect thereligious institutions of the Aventine in C.XIV. The construction began in 1893under the control of the architects Hildebrand of Hemptinne and FrancescoVespigniani. The church was consecrated in 1900. Theentrance is preceded by a four-sided portico. The interior has three navesseparated by two lines of granite ionic columns. The crypt, today destined tobe the library, has five naves and twenty red marble columns. It occupies theentire lower area of the church.