060608


Roma Capitale
Zètema Progetto Cultura
060608 - Discover and buy tourist services, cultural offers and shows in Rome
You are in: Home » Culture and leisure » Historic places of worship » Catholic Churches » Sant'Agostino in Campo Marzio
Typology: Parish Church

Address

Address: Piazza di Sant'Agostino, 80
Zone: Rione S. Eustachio (Senato-Corso Rinascimento) (Roma centro)
Atac
Enter your starting address

Contacts

Telephone: +39 06 68801962
Fax: +39 06 6833547 - 06 68215193

Opening times

Open 07:30am-12:00pm 04:00pm-07:30pm

Orario Messe:
Festivi:08.00-10.00-12.00-18.30
Feriali:08.00-18.30
Durante la celebrazione della S. Messa non è possibile visitare la chiesa

Today's events

Description

S. AGOSTINO INCAMPO MARZIO The construction,committed by Bonifacio VIII, began in 1296 but was only terminated in 1420.Today’s appearance is due to the reconstruction performed in the years1479-1483 and ordered by Jacopo di Pietrasanta and Sebastiano Fiorentino. In1756 Luigi Vanvitelli completely transformed the interior of the church andmodified the fifteenth-century bell tower. The facade,typical example of Roman renaissance architecture and preceded by a widestaircase, presents a large portal with a triangular gable in the lower part. Tothe sides there are two minor portals with round windows on top. The upper partholds a circular window and a framed triangular gable. The interior isdivided into three naves and has five chapels on each side. On the right of thecentral portal one finds the “Madonna del Parto” by Jacopo Sansovino (1521). Inthe first chapel on the left there is the famous painting “Madonna deiPellegrini” (1604) by Caravaggio, while the third pilaster on the left of thecentral nave is decorated with a fresco by Raffaello depicting the “ProfetaIsaia” (1512). The main altar, built on a project by Bernini in 1627, bears the“Vergine con Bambino” coming from the church of Santa Sofia in Constantinople.Particularly important is the altarpiece depicting “Sant’Agostino, Giovannievangelista e Girolamo” by Guercino (1591-1666), located in the third chapel onthe right and dedicated to the saint to whom the church was named after. Insidethe church one of the chapels is dedicated to Santa Monica, where she wasactually buried. Her body was taken from Ostia in 1483.  

For more information

Culture and leisure › Itineraries
Last checked: 2013-03-01 10:09