060608


Roma Capitale
Zètema Progetto Cultura
060608 - Discover and buy tourist services, cultural offers and shows in Rome
You are in: Home » Culture and leisure » Historic places of worship » Catholic Churches » San Pietro in Vincoli
Typology: Non Parish Church

Address

Address: Piazza di San Pietro in Vincoli, 4/A
Zone: Rione Monti (Colosseo-S.Giovanni-S.Maria Maggiore) (Roma centro)
Atac
Enter your starting address

Contacts

Telephone: 0039 06 97844950 - 06 97844952

Opening times

April-September: 8.00 am - 12.30 pm and 3.00 pm - 7.00 pm;
October-March: 8.00 am - 12.30 pm and 3.00 pm - 6.00 pm.

Mass Schedule:
Weekdays: 8.00 am and 12.00 pm (except on July and August);
Holidays: 8.00 am and 11.00 am;
Saturdays and Eves of Public Holidays: 5.00 pm;
Confessions in Italian, French and Polish;
Visits are not allowed during Masses.

Schedules are subject to change. Please contact the church before visiting.

Description

The church of San Pietro in Vincoli is also known as Basilica Eudossiana, because it was rebuilt (replacing another one of identical dimension, the latter built on Roman ruins), by Eudossia, wife to the Emperor Valentiniano III, to treasure the chains of San Pietro retained in Gerusalemme and entrusted to her by her mother Eudocia. Consecrated by Pope Sisto III in 439, it was restored under teh papacy of Adriano I in 780 circa, and then after the year 1000. Remarkable works were carried out by Sisto IV’s nephew, Cardinal Giuliano Della Rovere, between 1471 and 1503, year in which he was elected Pope under the name Giulio II. In recent excavations, performed on the occasion of the restoration of the pavement, ruins from teh previous buildings were dug out and are now accessible. The façade is preceded and hidden by an elegant porch that rises from a wide stairway. The interior is quite grandiose for the parade of splendid columns that divide it into three naves and confer a theatrical aspect, due to the ceiling with a very low vault, portraying "Il Miracolo delle Catene" by Parodi. According to tradition, the two chains (ties) used to tie up San Pietro are still treasured underneath the altar. It also hold the famous “Mosè” by Michelangelo.
Last checked: 2012-03-07 11:01