The medieval church of San Nicola in Carcere rises on the place where three temples that were then turned into a prison during the Middle Ages (and thus the name “carcere”) used to be during the era of republican Rome. The church was almost entirely rebuilt and enriched by the hand of architect Giacomo della Porta in 1599. It then underwent further restoration and decorated under the papacy of Pope Pio IX in 1865; in 1932 it was freed by the buildings standing against it, so as to spotlight the ruins of the antique surrounding temples. Also this basilica widely respects the architectural parameters used for the construction of the antique Roman churches: the three naves are divided up by fourteen columns, different per material and dimensions, all coming from antique temples, that express, despite this, evident harmony. Inside the church one can admire the wonderful works by Guercino ("Trinità ed Angeli"), by Antonio Romano ("Madonna con il Bambino") and by Lorenzo Costa ("Ascensione").