SAN GREGORIO MAGNO The church was founded by San Gregorio Magno in 575 A.D.; in the atrium of the Salviati chapel one finds a painting of the Vergine that, according to tradition, spoke to San Gregorio. Gregorio, from a noble Roman family Pope Felice II also came from, in 575, before his election had turned his own house into a monastery with an annexed church, dedicated to Sant'Andrea Apostolo. In the late Middle Ages it was substitutued by a church dedicated to the holy pontiff. The latter was completely remodeled in the outside by Gian Battista Sorìa (stairway, façade and atrium), and inside by Francesco Ferrari. The façade rises at the top of the stairway, vigorously articulated into two orders of pilaster strips, which divide it up into three spans where the middle one is crowned by a tympanum, a porch, and big balconies. The atrium is surrounded by porches and holds some interesting burials, like, for example that of Sir Edward Carne, dignitary of the Court of Enrico VIII, sent in 1561 on the occasion of the divorce between the king and his first wife Caterina d'Aragona. The interior appears with its Baroque aspect given by Ferrari. It has three naves divided by sixteen antique columns and is decorated by pilaster strips and stuccos. Also the mosaics are very interesting.
HERITY certification: http://www.herity.it/33596-a.html