Typology: Non Parish Church
Address: Via di San Bonaventura, 7
Zone: Rione Campitelli (Foro Romano- Campidoglio-P.Venezia) (Roma centro)
Enter your starting address
Telephone: 0039 06 6780331 - 06 6783187
Fax: 0039 06 69292782
Please note: the monument is closed until further notice.
It is dedicated to St Bonaventura da Bagnoreggio (1221-1274), a Franciscan father who later became the general minister of the order. The church was built in 1675 for cardinal Francesco Barberini on top of an ancient tanker of the aqueduct of emperor Claudius (41-54). A small convent was annexed and given to the order of the Spanish Barefoot Franciscans. Restored in 1839-40, it was known as “alla Polveriera” for the vicinity in the sixteenth century of a gun powder factory. On its simple facade there is a portal with two lateral niches, on top of which stands the statue of San Bonaventura dating back to the 18th century. The interior has a single nave and on the sides of the main altar are two small chapels with smaller altars on the walls. In the church are kept the bodies of the blessed Bonaventura and of San Leonardo from Porto Maurizio.
Last checked: 2011-03-31 11:53