The Church of San Benedetto in Piscinula, whose founder belonged to the Anicii family, was probably the place where St Benedict stayed for a time. The church dates back to the 11th century. During the 17th century it underwent a first restoration, and another one in 1844, when the present façade was built. In the small atrium is the fresco of "St Benedict" dating back to the 13th century; the cosmatesque door leads to a sacellum with a square plan (the so called cell of St Benedict), with four antique columns at the corners, supporting the cross vault. The interior is typical of a basilica: three small naves divided up by four antique columns per side, with marble capitals. Behind the high altar one can admire canvases dating back to the 14th century, such as "St Benedict in throne" and paintings from the Venetian School of the early 1500s, such as "Madonna in throne with child" and "St Anthony the abbot and St Lorenz". At present the church is managed by nuns of the Institute N. S. Carmelo.