Near the Fontana di Trevi one finds the Chiesa dei SS. Vincenzo e Anastasio built via a project by Martino Longhi il Giovane architect in 1650. The rich Baroque façade has a double order of Corinthian columns. Ten columns in the lower order and six in the upper one are all separated by the background, and due to their abundance the façade is commonly defined "il canneto". In the frontispice, surmounted by two arched tympani, one finds the coat of arms of Cardinal Mazzarino, who ordered the construction of the church. Decorative sculptures contribute to awarding the – more curious than exemplar façade a remarkable scenical effect. Inside the church, the absidal tombstones remind that this place treasures the almost all the popes’ pericardium (part of the heart), removed for the embalming, starting with Sisto V (1590) until Leone XIII (1903).
HERITY certification: www.herity.it/Siti/SS.%20Vincenzo%20e%20Anastasio.htm