Typology: Non Parish Church
Address: Via 24 Maggio, 10
Zone: Rione Monti (Colosseo-S.Giovanni-S.Maria Maggiore) (Roma centro)
Enter your starting address
Telephone: +39 06 45421813 - 06 45425215
Evey day 9.30am-12.30pm / 3.00pm-6.00pm
S. SILVESTRO AL QUIRINALE Thechurch was built between C. IX and l’XI on the ruins of a temple raised by theTarquini in Semo Sanco, antique Italic city. In 1507 it was conceded to thePadri Domenicani; in 1524 the latter began the widening of the church and a newconvent. After various issues, it was completed in 1584. With the building of the new road -XXIV Maggio -, however, it was reduced while the facade was rebuilt. The façade, divided into three orders ofpilaster strips, includes a fake entry portal surmounted by wide renewalsdecorated with coat of arms and a big oculus. To the left, the church can beaccessed via a little portal surmounted by a window with a balcony. The interior, with a single nave andsixteenth-century-wooden roofing, includes various chapels with paintings,statues and frescoed decorations carried out by artists such as Domenichino,Giovanni Alberti, il Cavalier d’Arpino, Alessandro Algardi. The BaldiniChapel, at the bottom of the left transept, deserves particular attention.
Last checked: 2016-04-01 12:49