Piazza della Chiesa Nuova, 18
Rione Parione (Navona-Campo de' Fiori) (Roma centro)
Enter your starting address
Sala di Consultazione: Piazza dell'Orologio, 4
Between 1874 and 1898, the Municipal council started the reunification of the Municipal archives in a single seat in the Capitol. They put together the Archivio della Camera Capitolina, that conserved the acts concerning the municipal administration from the Renaissance to the Reform of Pius IX of 1847 and the Archivio Generale Urbano, instituted by Urban VIII in 1625 as emergency archive of notarial deeds. The latter conserved original copies of the acts stipulated in Rome between 1625 al 1870 and about 1000 volumes of original notarial deeds dating back to the 14th century on. In the united archive were introduced the archives of some important Roman families: Orsini, Cardelli, Capranica, Boccapaduli, Brazzà. Since 1922 the Archive has its seat in the monumental complex of the Oratorio dei Filippini, masterwork by Borromini. Are part of the Institute also the Emeroteca Romana and the Library. The Archive today is a centre of services and culture for the history of Rome, from the Middle Ages to the present day, it actively collaborates to numerous programs of scientific research, together with Italian and foreign universities and other cultural institutions.