Tuesday-Saturday: 11.00 am - 7.00 pm;
Closed: Easter and Easter Monday, 25 April, 1 May, 25 and 26 December, 1 and 6 January.
The elliptical structure of the building suggests a fascinating, intimate scenario, where projects have been carried out portraying various artistic genres: exhibitions, performances, meetings, readings, installations, concerts, recitals and projections.
Works of great masters have already been housed in this centre, such as Robert Capa, Arnaldo Pomodoro, Tommaso Le Pera, Roberto Capucci, Bartolomeo and Achille Pinelli, Antoine Jean Baptiste Thomas, Emanuele Luzzati, Altan, Pablo Echaurren, Federico Garolla, Maria Signorelli and some young artists and photographers such as Martux_M, Riccardo Venturi, Massimiliano Verdino, Lorenzo Vitturi, Emanuele Vagni, Piero Mottola, PierPaolo Verdecchi, Danele Vita accompanied by readings and performances by Ottavia Piccolo, Omero Antonutti, Daniela Giordano, Ascanio Celestini, Giampiero Bianchi, Ugo De Vita. The Sala also housed the 2004 and 2005 edition of the Festival delle Fotografie, with the shows "I Tulkus del Tibet" by Martine Franck and "Original Malawi".
The Church of Santa Rita da Cascia to be found near the stairs of the Aracoeli where there was the medieval church of S. Biagio de Mercato or "de Mercantello", is a church in the baroque style built on an octagonal design, located in front of the Teatro di Marcello.
It was built in 1653 on a project of the architect Carlo Fontana who based his plan from a diagonal rather than a front view. Under the auspices of Pope Alessandro VII Chigi (1655 -16667) the building was used as the seat of a confraternity called the "S. Spina della Corona di Nostro Signore Gesù Cristo" following which the name of Santa Rita da Cascia was added.
While the Vittoriano was being built in 1028, this small church was destroyed and it was only during 1937 - 1940 that it was rebuilt on the same site. When the church was rebuilt, it had an isolated appearance with its left side open, which was later reconstructed with architectonic pieces similar to the façade.
This maintained the original aspect through two orders of Corinthian pilasters supported by studs, portraying the Chigi arms, located at the corners in the place of more traditional vaults. Three closed arches can be seen in the lower section with arcs in line, the upper one with a pediment with arches of the same type, one in the middle and two on each corner.
The interior is based on an octagonal plane with a small atrium in front, flanked by two rectangular spaces. The round vaulted ceiling with lunettes include stuccoed cornices and the Corinthian pilasters near the walls finish off the surfaces. After being built again, the exterior of the religious complex was completely restored in 195estored in 1950.
In 1952, the building was given to the congregation of the Piccola Opera della Divina Provvidenza founded by Don Orione and finally in 1990 it became the property again of Roma Capitale when it was used for exhibitions and cultural events until it was closed again in 2001 for restoring and consolidation works.