The H. C. Andersen Museum is a house-study of the Norwegian sculptor and painter Hendrik Christian Andersen that was born in Bergen in Norway in 1872, became a naturalized U. S. citizen and lived in Rome for over forty years. The small building is known also as Villa Hélèn and was built in 1922-25 on a design by Andersen himself in neo fifteenth century style with stuccoes, full-relief sculptures and Art Nouveau style pictorial decorations. On his death in 1940 the artist left the house, including the furniture, the works, the photographic material, and the library to the Italian State. The collection of works (over 200 sculptures and 350 graphic works) testify the great dream to which the artist dedicated all his life: to realize a City that was to be an international laboratory and breeding ground of ideas in all the fields of human knowledge. The statues were supposed to decorate that City. The huge plasters and the bronze groups dedicated to the themes of love, maternity, physical strength, and intellect are now exhibited in the Gallery and in the Study on the ground floor, while space on the upper floor is reserved to temporary exhibitions. The various documents include the remarkable collection of the correspondence that documents the friendship between Andersen in his youth and the writer Henry James. The Museum is part of the museum pole of the National Gallery of Modern Art together with the Manzù Collection, the Mario Praz Museum, and the Boncompagni-Ludovisi Museum.
Connections: Metro A - Flaminio Bus 490 Tram 2 - 19