The Museum of Paleontology was founded in1928 together with the institution of the Chair of Paleontology. It was splitfrom the Geologic Museum of the Royal University and consisted of part of thecollections of rocks and fossils of the Kircherian Museum. In 1935 thecollection was moved from Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza to the new location in theUniversity TownThe current collection consists of two sectors. Fossils of vegetables,Protozoans, Parazoans, Metazoans, and mollusks are exhibited in the sectiondedicated to the invertebrates, while the skeletons of mammals that lived inCentral Italy during the Quarternary period, such as a hippopotamus, arhinoceros, and some oxen, elephants, and deer are exhibited in the sectiondedicated to vertebrate fossils. It also presents skeletons of faunas found inMediterranean Islands, such as the dwarf deer found in Crete and Sardinia andthe dwarf elephants and the giant dormice found in Sicily.