Piazzale Aldo Moro, 5
Quartiere Tiburtino (Roma est)
Enter your starting address
Presso il piano seminterrato della Facoltà di Lettere dell’Università
The Museum of Classic Art (Museum of Plaster Models) was created as a didactic tool for the Chair of Classic Archaeology in 1892 by the archaeologist Emanuel Loewi (1857-1938). From its first location in a few rooms in Testaccio, the collection was moved in 1925 to a few halls of the People's Home of San Michele and in 1935 it was definitively transferred to the basement of the Faculty of Letters of the University "La Sapienza", assuming its current denomination.The material exhibited includes reproductions of handmade articles, paintings of the Minoan and Mycenaean Ages, and more than 1,000 plaster casts of Greek sculptures from the protoarchaic period to late Hellenism. These are copies of works by Phidias, Praxiteles, Miro, and Lysippus. Also remarkable are the Tyrannicides, the group of Laocoon, the sculptures on the pediment of the temple of Zeus in Olympia and the frieze on the altar in Pergamon.