060608


Roma Capitale
Zètema Progetto Cultura
060608 - Discover and buy tourist services, cultural offers and shows in Rome
You are in: Home » Culture and leisure » Cultural heritage » Museums » Musei di Villa Torlonia
Typology: Town Museum

Address

Address: Via Nomentana, 70
Zone: Quartiere Nomentano (Roma nord)
Atac
Enter your starting address
Biglietteria unica presso il Casino Nobile

Contacts

Opening times

From Tuesday to Sunday 9.00-19.00
24 and 31 December 9.00-14.00
Last admission 1 hour before closing time
Closed
Monday, 1 January, 1 May and 25 December

For updates and guidelines please check the >official website

Entrance for the disabled

For further information please consult the page Disabled people Access

ALWAYS CHECK the WARNINGS PAGE before planning your visit in the museum

Information

> Buy online purchase tickets for museums and exhibitions online
> Tickets and audio guides admission tickets and audio guides, prices and information for visiting the permanent collection and temporary exhibitions. Free entry the first Sunday of the month
> Free and reduced tickets free and reduced tickets in the Civic Museums
> MIC card is a 5 euro card that includes free admission in the Civic Museums for 12 months
> Agreements facilities and events concession agreements 
> Terms and conditions of access information and services for the public
   Free cloakroom for bags, schoolbags, buggies and umbrellas
> Bookshop
> Caffeteria - restaurant La Limonaia

Today's events

Scheduled events

Description

The Casino Nobile owes its appearance to the intervention of Giuseppe Valadier, around 1802, then between 1835-40 to Giovan Battista Caretti who added the majestic pronaos to the façade.

Many painters worked on its decoration, such as Podesti and Coghetti, as well as sculptors and plasterers from the school of Thorvaldsen and Canova.

When the Villa was rented to Benito Mussolini from 1925 to 1943, a gas shelter and an air-raid bunker were built in the basement, which can be visited by appointment.

The two floors of the restored building house the Museum of the Villa, with sculptures and period furnishings. On the second floor is the Museum of the Roman School, with paintings, sculptures and drawings by the artists of that school.


The adjoining Casino dei Principi, which houses the Archive of the Roman School, rich in documents, periodically hosts temporary exhibitions.


The Casina delle Civette stands out for its originality. Designed in 1839 by the architect Giuseppe Jappelli as a Swiss hut, it was transformed in the early 20th century into an eclectic small villa, the residence of Prince Torlonia. Its name is linked to the use of decorative elements inspired by the theme of the owl. The numerous polychrome stained-glass windows were mostly made by Cesare Picchiarini between 1910 and 1925, based on designs by Duilio Cambellotti, Umberto Bottazzi, Vittorio Grassi and Paolo Paschetto.

Since it was opened to the public as a museum space in 1997, the original collection of the Casina has been enriched with stained glass windows by the same authors and with drawings, sketches and preparatory cartoons.


GOOGLE ART PROJECT https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/museo-di-villa-torlonia

This table (All'interno di) includes

Culture and leisure › Cultural heritage › Museums
Culture and leisure › Cultural heritage › Museums
Culture and leisure › Cultural heritage › Museums
Culture and leisure › Cultural heritage › Museums

Agreement with

Hospitality › Services › Tourist services and fairs
Hospitality › Services › Tourist services and fairs

See also

Culture and leisure › Cultural heritage › Architectural and historical heritage
Hospitality › Food and drink › Restaurants
Culture and leisure › Green › Gardens, villas and urban parks
Last checked: 2021-07-09 9:46