The National Institute for Graphics –Drawings and Prints Cabinet was founded in 1975 through the merge of the National Cabinet of Prints and of the National Chalcography. The Cabinet is currently located on the first floor and in the penthouse of Villa Farnesina alla Lungara. Its foundation dates back to 1883 when prince Tommaso Corsini sold his Palace including the picture-gallery to the State and donated the library to the Accademia dei Lincei. This in turn entrusted the collection of prints and drawings included in the library on consignment to the State, to guarantee its consultation and conservation. The National Cabinet of Prints was founded in 1895 for this purpose. The current Fund consists of the initial core of prints and drawings from the Corsini Fund, to which other collections were added, such as the eighteenth century Pious Fund, the Fuga Fund, the Drusiani Fund that includes a large collection of prints by Tiepolo. Altogether the fund consists of 150,000 pieces between prints and drawings. The Cabinet of Prints and Chalcography will be merged together in the new location of Palazzo Poli in the Trevi district.
Access: With letter of introduction for the Cabinet. Free to the library and the photographic archive.
Connections: Bus 23 - 280