060608


Roma Capitale
Zètema Progetto Cultura
060608 - Discover and buy tourist services, cultural offers and shows in Rome
You are in: Home » Culture and leisure » Cultural heritage » Museums » Galleria Spada
Typology: Art Museum, State Museum

Address

Address: Piazza Capo di Ferro, 13
Zone: Rione Regola (Campo de' Fiori-Piazza Farnese) (Roma centro)
Atac
Enter your starting address

Contacts

Telephone: +39 06 6832409 (biglietteria) - 06 32810 oppure 199757510 prenotazione biglietti singoli
Telephone: +39 06 6832408 prenotazione biglietti gruppi e scuole
Fax: +39 06 6861158
Online purchase: www.gebart.it
Telephone booking: +39 06 8555952 visite guidate per gruppi

Opening times

Tuesday-Sunday: 8.30 am - 7.30 pm

Closed: Monday, December 25, January 1

The ticket office closes 30 minutes before closing time.

Information

Adult: € 5,00
Concessions: € 2,50
- UE members between 18 and 25 years old
- European Union state teachers

 Free admission
- first Sunday of the month
- European and non- European citizens under 18
- tour guides from the European Union practising their professional activity
- tour interpreters from the European Union practising their professional activity
- employees of the Ministry for the Cultural Heritage and Activities
- members of ICOM (International Council of Museums)
- members of ICCROM (International organization for conservation of cultural heritage)
- reserved school groups from European Union schools, accompanied by one teacher every 10 students
- teachers and students of faculties of Architecture, Conservation of the Cultural Heritage, Education Sciences, and degree courses in the Arts, or in literary subjects with a specialisation in archaeology or art history, in Humanities faculties of Universities from the European Union
- students enrolled in these specialisations of faculties of Architecture, Conservation of the Cultural Heritage, Education Sciences, and of degree courses in the Arts, or in literary subjects with a specialisation in archaeology or art history, in Humanities faculties of Universities and doctorate students in the aforementioned disciplines
- Socrates and Erasmus students of the aforementioned disciplines
- teachers and students of Fine Arts Academies from the European Union
- teachers of Art History in Upper Secondary Schools
- students of the following schools: Istituto Centrale del Restauro, Opificio delle Pietre Dure, Scuola per il Restauro del Mosaico
- journalists in the italian national register or any other journalist from a foreign country, only for work porpouses and according to a valid document proving the given professionalism
- disabled persons and a companion from the European Union
- members of volunteer work associations of the Cultural Heritage
- holders of "Carta dello studente"

Agreement with

Roma Pass

Description

The Spada Gallery is located in the Palace with the same name that formerly belonged to the cardinal Girolamo Capodiferro (1502-1559), who assigned its construction in 1548 to the architect Bartolomeo Baronino. The rich decorations on the facade and the stuccoes in the courtyard were realized by Giulio Mazzoni. In 1632 the Palace was purchased by cardinal Bernardino Spada (1594-1661), who made it his residence calling painters, sculptors, and architects to restore it. Francesco Borromini himself realized in 1652-53 the particular Perspective Gallery in cooperation with themathematician Father Giovanni Maria from Bitonto that through the optical illusion created by the ascending floor, the converging walls and the descending vault simulates a much longer depth than the actual 9 meters. Cardinal Bernardino, being a passionate collector, set up his collection of paintings, which was increased later through the contribution of his nephews, in four halls in the left wing of the Palace. The Palace and the Gallery were purchased by the State in 1936 after alternate events that caused the dispersion of a large number of paintings, to house the Council of State. Currently the collection of the Gallery, largely consisting of cardinal Bernardino’s collection, presents a rich set of paintings, pieces of furniture, antique and modern sculptures, including two seventeenth century maps of the world and of the heavens by the Dutchman W. Blaeu. The most significant paintings include the works by Guido Reni (Portrait of cardinal Bernardino Spada, and St. Jerome), Guercino (Death of Dido, and Portrait of cardinal Bernardino Spada),Titian (Portrait of musician), Mattia Preti (Christ tempted by Satan, Christ and the adulteress), Brueghel the Elder (Landscape with windmills), Cerquozzi (The revolt of Masaniello). The variety of the selected iconographic subjects, that go from religious to mythological scenes, from portraits to still lives, as well as the differences between the pictorial schools represented, constitute an important example of the taste of collectors in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.
Connections: Bus 23 - 116 - 116T- 280

Educational activities

Ticket is inclusive of the visit to the picture gallery and Borromini’s perspective.

Information and tickets booking
tel. +39 06 6832409

Groups booking
fax +39 06 32651329

Guided tours
fax +39 06 8555952
tel. +39 06 22582493

On-line booking - reservations

See also

Culture and leisure › Cultural heritage › Architectural and historical heritage
Last checked: 2014-12-10 16:39