Open to the public every Sunday from 8:30 to 12:00, except on
5th January 2014
20th April 2014
1st June 2014
2nd November 2014
14th December 2014
21st December 2014
28th December 2014
from 22nd June to 7th September 2014
Changing of the Guard of Honour
- from October until June, 2nd: every Sunday at 16:00 (Piazza del Quirinale)
- from June 3rd until September: every Sunday at 18.00 (Piazza del Quirinale)
On the other days of the week the changing of the guard takes place inside the building and is not visible from the outside.
PLEASE NOTE: Quirinal gardens can be visited on 2 June only
In 1578 Pope Gregory XII Boncompagni charged the architect Martino Longhi first, and Ottaviano Mascherino afterward, with constructing a summer villa on top of the Quirinale hill which would incorporate the existing villa belonging to the Carafa and the Estensi families. During the papacy of Sixtus V Peretti (1585-90), the project was taken up by Domenico Fontana, while under Paul V Borghese (1605-21) the works were commissioned to Flaminio Ponzio and, after his death, to Carlo Maderno. More works were carried out by Gianlorenzo Bernini during the papacy of Urban VIII Barberini (1623-44), who was mostly concerned with strenghthening the defensive structures of the building. The palace was enlarged along the Strada Pia (now Via XX Settembre) with the construction of the so called "Manica lunga", a wing finished under Clemens XII Corsini (1730-40) by Ferdinando Fuga, who completed the external building of the complex. After 1870 the building was chosen as the palace of the Savoy family. Today it houses the residence and private offices of the President of the Italian Republic. The austere two-storey facade by Domenico Fontana (1589) is enriched by the portal by Maderno (1615) with the tympanum flanked by statues of the apostles Peter and Paul, by Stefano Maderno and Berthélot respectively. Above it is the Loggia delle Benedizioni designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1638). On the left is the "torrino" (1624) by Bernini. In the magnificent gardens are the Fontana dell'Organo (1596) and the Coffee House by Fuga (1741) with interesting paintings by Pannini. The internal decoration of the palace is a sum of the Roman art of the 17th and 18th centuries here represented at the highest levels with works by Guido Reni, Pietro da Cortona, Giovanni Lanfranco, Agostino Tassi, Antonio Caracci and others.
HERITY certification: www.herity.it/33596-a.html