Address: Piazza di San Marco
Zone: Rione Campitelli (Foro Romano- Campidoglio-P.Venezia) (Roma centro)
Enter your starting address
At number 49 Piazza San Marco is a large bust of a statue depicting the Egyptian deity Isis, from the Iseo Campense, the temple dedicated to Isis and Serapidis which used to be in the Campus Martius near today’s Collegio Romano. The statue was placed here by cardinal Lorenzo Cybo around 1500. The popular name of Madama Lucrezi perhaps comes from Lucrezia D’Alagno, a friend of Alfonso of Aragon and of Pope Paul II, or perhaps Lucrezia the wife of Giacomo dei Piccini of Bologna, who owned property in Piazza San Marco, as attested by a document of 1536. The statue was one of the so-called “congress of the witty”, that is, of the “talking” statues on which the populace used to hang anonymous invectives against the immoral behaviour and papal authorities of the times. These satirical comments are known as “pasquinate”, from the name of another statue known as Pasquino.
For more information
Culture and leisure › Cultural heritage › Architectural and historical heritage
Last checked: 2010-07-12 4:11