Come back to its original splendour after a long restoration and opened to the public at the end of 2003, the Gallery aims at being a urban space that offers to the visitor different possibilities at the same time, from shopping to walking, to relaxing seated at a coffee table of a Café as in the two famous Italian galleries, in Milan and in Naples. The history of Galleria Colonna is also the history of the area where it is located. The building hosting it dates back to 1922 but once in its place there was a palace of the Prince of Piombino, which in its turn had been founded as Palazzo Giustini-Spada at the end of the 16th century, one of the many buildings planned by Giacomo della Porta. After belonging to different noble families, at the end of the 19th century it went into possession of the city of Rome. Destroyed at the turn of the 20th century, the building was rebuilt as we see it today. For many years the gallery has been a place of meeting for politicians, entrepreneurs, simple people, and it was the venue for the first shows of some of the best Italian actors. And to one of the major symbols of Italian cinema, Alberto Sordi, the city has dedicated the gallery since its reopening.