Address: Piazza Delle Cinque Scole
Zone: Rione Sant'Angelo (Portico Ottavia-Teatro Marcello) (Roma centro)
Enter your starting address
The fountain was originally fed by the Acqua Felice and then by the Acqua Paola. It is also known as the fountain of “PiazzaGiudia” or “Giudea” (Jewish), because it was placed at the main entrance to the ghetto from where it was moved in 1880 during the works to restore the area. In 1924 the basin and the shaft were firstly placed in the surroundings of the church of Sant’Onofrio on the Janiculum Hill and then recombined with the original pond in 1930 to be placed in the current Piazza delle Cinque Scole or Cenci (once called Via del Progresso). Designed by Giacomo della Porta and built in 1591 by the stone-cutter Pietro Gucci, it was made with the white marble from the temple of Serapis on the Quirinal Hill. The water pours from the central tap into the circular basin supported by the central shaft and flows down through four masks into the mistilinear basin below, decorated with the coats of arms of the Capitoline Magistrates from the Boccapaduli, Planca, Incoronati, Iacovaci, and Altieri families that bear the date of 1593.
Last checked: 2014-04-07 17:11