Address: Via degli Staderari
Zone: Rione S. Eustachio (Senato-Corso Rinascimento) (Roma centro)
Enter your starting address
The fountain dei Libri (of the Books) was designed by Lombardi and built in travertine in 1927. The head of a deer, symbol of the district, is represented in a niche crowned by an arch with the inscription SPQR. Two ancient books placed on shelves are on the sides. Above is the symbol of the Medici family that owned Palazzo Madama situated in front of the small fountain. The water pours out of two bookmark-shaped taps and from two more taps inserted within circular panels. The ancient books remember the ancient University della Sapienza. In fact the small fountain is placed on the side wall of Palazzo della Sapienza, where today the State Archive resides. The name of the district and its reference number are sculpted at the centre of the fountain. However the reference number is mistaken, because Sant’Eustachio corresponds to the VIII (eighth) district, while the number on the fountain is IV (fourth).
Last checked: 2010-07-12 3:58