Address: Via di Porta San Sebastiano, 7
Zone: Quartiere Appio Latino (Roma sud)
Enter your starting address
This little church was built in the 12th century inside a Roman house and dedicated to the characters of Ephesus that had been walled into a cave during the persecutions of Decius (249-251 AD) and found alive two centuries afterwards. Abandoned in 1320, it was restored for the first time in 1710 by pope Innocent XI. It was soon used as a barn by a modern farmhouse built on the ancient structures. In 1875 it was definitely restored. The roman house that houses the oratory dates back to the second half of the second century AD and it comprises at least two floors: on the second floor are the rooms with mosaic floors decorated with flowery pattern and couple of fighters. The excavations on the ground floor brought to light the ruins of a colombarium and a monumental tomb dating back to the first century BC.
Last checked: 2010-07-12 3:23