The farmhouse is situated at the 16th kilometre of the Via Flaminia. It was originally a four-faced arch erected at the crossroads between the Via Flaminia and an older road of Etruscan origin.The arch, whose brickwork structure is still visible, was originally covered with marble slabs and had Corinthian columns on the main faces. It was built in the early 4th century AD on the site where Constantine had encamped before the battle of the Milvian Bridge against Maxentius (312 AD). It was here, as legend has it, that he had the vision of the cross. During the Middle Ages the arches were closed up and the resulting building was used as a church dedicated to Saint Nicholas. However, the church had disappeared by the 13th century since the building was turned into the main tower of a fortified hamlet called Burgus S. Nicolai de arcu Virginia, belonging to the Chapter of Saint Peter’s Basilica from 1278 to 1870. In 1485 the hamlet was besieged and set ablaze by the troops of the Orsini in their struggles against their rivals the Colonna, and from then on became known as“Malborghetto”, perhaps for its run down state. The building, reduced to being a modest farmhouse, was turned into a tavern in the 17th century, and in 1744 became a post station with a stable and small church. The building was purchased by the State in 1982 and, after excavation and restoration work, now houses a small museum.