The monument is also visible from the outside
Open to organized groups upon reservation only.
Max 25 people per group.
For April, May and June 2016 booking will be open on December 14th 2015
For July, August and September 2016 booking will be open on March 14th 2016
For October, November and December 2016 booking will be open on June 13th 2016
For January, February and March 2017 booking will be open on 14 September 2016
The archeological area known as the sacred area of Santo Omobono, situated within the area of the Forum Olitorium (Vegetable Market) in front of the modern Palazzo dell’Anagrafe (General Registry Office) was discovered in the years 1936-1937during the works for the opening of via del Mare. It is named after the Church that rises on the ancient structures. The importance of the finding is related to the presence of the most ancient example of Tuscanic temple in Rome, which can be dated back to the fourth century BC and attributed by tradition to king Servius Tullius. The excavations also revealed the existence of an even more ancient cult, which can be dated back to the end of the seventh or the beginning of the sixth century BC, and traces of frequenting testified by ceramics of the Bronze Age (sixteenth-twelfth century BC), the Iron Age, and by Greek ceramics of the first half of the eighth century BC. The temple was dedicated to Mater Matuta, goddess protectress of navigation and bound to the market area near the river. The archaic temple was destroyed after the expulsion of the Tarquines from Rome at the end of the sixth century BC. At the beginning of the fifth century BC a new podium was built on the ruins of the previous temple, on which two coupled, but distinct temples were built: the western one dedicated to Fortuna and the eastern one to Mater Matuta. In front of the temples were two altars and a circular donarium for the collection of offerings with bronze statues of which only the base remains. The sacred buildings were subject to several reconstructions at the end of the third century BC, in Hadrian’s age and lastly in the Severian Age (in the second century or at the beginning of the third century AD). In the sixth century AD a church was built on the temples. The church was restored with a new floor in cosmatesque style in the twelfth or thirteenth century. In 1482 the church was rebuilt and dedicated to San Salvatore in Porticu, and definitively dedicated in the eighteenth century to Saints Omobono and Antonio.